Stroke is a significant public health problem. In countries like Switzerland, each year, 14,000 new people (including 1,000 in Geneva) are confronted with this severe health accident. Stroke is the leading cause of disability in adults over 65 and the second leading cause of dementia. It is also the 3rd cause of death (after heart disease and cancer) On average, stroke patients are 73 years old, and unfortunately, the recurrence rate is high (35% the first five years)
Stroke represents a medical emergency, from the early symptoms (or warning signs) every minute counts.
In nephrology, patients often suffer from high blood pressure. It is, therefore, crucial that they know how to recognize the warning signs to come quickly to the hospital.
What Are The Warning Signs?
- Vision problems sometimes lack vision on one side
- Inability to find words, incomprehensible sentences
- Balance problems
- Feeling like you’re on a boat
- Persistent headache
- Paralysis on one side, right or left part of the body
All these disorders can be transient but should alarm you, and you should consult or talk to your doctor. The precocity and quality of the care taken are essential to allow optimal recovery.
What Are The Risk Factors For Having A Stroke
- High blood pressure
- Alcohol consumption
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Sleep Apnea
Treatments For Stroke
- Thrombolysis involves injecting a drug into the vein, which will lyse (break up or dissolve) the clot and thus allow the brain to be irrigated again. This treatment can only be done in the first hours after the onset of symptoms.
- Medicines depending on the situation: platelet aggregation inhibitors, antihypertensive drugs, statins, etc.
- Never stop treatment without talking to your doctor
- Control your risk factors to avoid a recurrence.
- Herbal medicine from any Hua Laksiam dealer (ฮั้วลักเซียมตัวแทนจำหน่าย ,which is the term in Thai) can be used.