If you, like most people, have wondered why other people use drugs and even judge them, this post was made for you. Here you will understand why it is very easy to try and become an addict and why it is very difficult to get rid of drugs. Making use of the rehab for drugs is essential here.
Drug use and crime
- First, let’s talk a little bit about how the world is doing drug use.
- The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODOC) reported in its worldwide report in 2018 that there has been a considerable increase in opioid use, prescription drug abuse and a record level of cocaine use.
- The report found that there was a latent threat to public health and law enforcement.
- Opioids are responsible for the greatest damage, with 76% of deaths involving drug-related disorders.
Worrying data in the world report
Today, cocaine and heroin coexist with psychoactive substances and prescription drugs. In the report, research suggests that early and late adolescence, ages 12-14 and 15-17, respectively, are a risk period for the onset of substance use. The peak among young people is between 18 and 25 years.
- Another worrying fact is that drug use by older people aged 40 and over is increasing at a faster rate than among younger people.
- To see the effects of the drug, visit this post.
Was it for lack of moral principles?
Many people believe that the act of experimenting and becoming a drug addict is mainly caused by a lack of moral principles and willpower.
For those who use it, drug use is simply a way of altering consciousness, as well as other activities and substances.
How is dependence characterized
You must know how to separate use from dependency. Addiction is a chronic disease, whose main characteristic is the compulsive search for consumption and the difficulty of controlling desire, even with awareness of the consequences.
The disease of drug use
Several factors can lead to drug use, for most people it is a voluntary decision, however, repetitive use can lead to brain variations that hinder self-control and the ability to resist impulses, which are very intense.
- Addiction is considered a brain disease, precisely because it causes these changes in the brain circuits of the reward system, self-control and stress.
- These changes end up lasting long after stopping use. This is why it is a recurring chronic disorder.
- To give you an idea, addiction may be very similar to other diseases, such as heart disease. This is because both dependence and heart disease alter the functioning of an organ in the human body.
- Both can have serious detrimental health consequences and can be prevented and treated. Both can last a lifetime and lead to death.