If you are suffering from herpes and looking for a treatment then you must be informed that there is no exact and proper cure for Herpes Simplex Virus or HSV infections. However, there are different treatment options available and proper use of Valtrex can help you to get relief from the symptoms.
In case you are suffering from genital herpes, typically there are three antiviral medications for treating it. All these are FDA approved. These are:
- Acyclovir: This is the oldest antiviral medication that you may find for treating herpes. Acyclovir has been around since 1982 and is available in the topical form or as an ointment. However, since 1985 it was sold in pill form. This is proved to be safe for persons to use it every day and continuously, even for 10 years or even more than that.
- Valacyclovir: This is a newer drug that in which the most active ingredient is acyclovir. The Valacyclovir medication is known to deliver acyclovir more efficiently. This ensures that your body absorbs more of this drug. That means you will have the advantage of taking the drug for less number of times in a day.
- Famciclovir: This uses penciclovir as the active ingredient. This ideally prevents the Herpes Simplex Virus from replicating. Very similar to Valacyclovir, the Famciclovir also is very well absorbed by the body. In addition to that it will remain in your body for a much longer time which once again means you will need to take it less frequently as compared to acyclovir.
These antiviral medications are most commonly prescribed for the patients who are suffering from the first episode of genital herpes. However, you can use these medications for episodes that are recurring in nature as well.
Ideally, there are two specific types of treatment regimens for herpes. One is the episodic therapy and the other is the suppressive therapy.
- In episodic therapy approach, the patient is supposed to start taking the medication as soon as the first sign of an outbreak of herpes or ideally at first marks of prodrome are noticed.
- The user must continue taking this medication for several days. This will ensure that the healing process is expedited. This will also ensure that the outbreak is prevented from fully occurring.
This therapy is proven to be effective for all the three of the antiviral treatments that are mentioned above. It will shorten the length of time that a patient may suffer from the symptoms of herpes. At this point it is critical to know that the results may vary from one person to another.
The good thing about episodic therapy is that it will offer the most normal if not natural way to manage and even prevent the outbreaks of herpes. For many patients, this is the advantage that they gain from such therapy and medication to manage and treat the recurrent episodes in a far better way as compared to the primary episodes.
- On an average it is found that episodic therapy can reduce the length of a herpes outbreak by at least a day or two on an average.
- It is also found that the benefits of episodic therapy can be more significant for those patients who experience the outbreaks for a much longer period.
However, the episodic therapy may have very little effect if there are lesions seen on a patient already. This is due to that fact that there is a difference in the rate of absorption of the medication and thereby the start and duration of its effectiveness may be altered. In addition to that, the dosages of episodic therapy treatment may vary ranging from taking one to five pills each day continuously for three to five days after a herpes outbreak.
This is the therapy that is most effective for those people who want to eliminate or suppress the outbreaks of genital herpes. Yes, they can also take the antiviral medication daily to control the HSV and keep it in check so that it does not flare up fast and cause symptoms.
- However, for people who have six or more frequent recurrences in a year, suppressive therapy is the best way to get rid of it, studies have shown. This therapy will reduce the number of outbreaks of herpes by at least 75% provided the medication is taken along with it.
- Also, for some people taking an antiviral on a regular basis can prevent such outbreaks altogether.
The antiviral medications are particularly effective in controlling the herpes symptoms but researchers say that along with an antiviral therapy it is even more effective in asymptomatic shedding.
Several studies regarding suppressive therapy has been conducted showed that people on suppressive acyclovir taking about (400 mg of the medication twice daily were able to reduce the subclinical shedding by more than 94% when they too a daily therapy along with it.
There are also other studies done with Famciclovir and Valacyclovir and showed similar results both in men and women. Therefore, it can be said that suppressive therapy is both safe and effective.
Treatment for oral herpes
You will get this medication in pill form of acyclovir, valacyclovir, or famciclovir at online stores like RXShopMD.com that are specifically developed for treating genital herpes. This antiviral drug can also prevent severe or frequent outbreaks of oral herpes as well. Studies show that Valtrex can treat oral herpes in one day with a 2 gram dosage if it is taken at the first sign of a cold sore and then once again at about 12 hours later.
You will find several other OTC topical treatments available for oral herpes but these may not be like Valtrex as it contains the antiviral compounds. Few of these may contain ingredients that will induce temporary relief but will numb the area. Few may even delay the healing time of the symptoms actually and may cause further irritation in the area when you use it repeatedly.
Since you have this FDA approved medication within reach and affordability, why take such risks!